3 Easy Ways to Start or Transfer Utility Services
August 01, 2014
Settling on a place to live in college can be exciting - and a little unnerving. A lot of responsibility comes with moving into new housing. Fortunately, the City of Tallahassee Utilities can take some of the stress away by providing an easy way to set up or transfer your utility services online.
Simply visit Talgov.com/YOU and follow the easy steps to start, stop or transfer your utility services. Another option for setting up or changing your account is to do so in person at the Frenchtown Renaissance Center, located at 435 N. Macomb St. You can also transfer or stop (but not start) service by calling 891.4YOU (4968).
While you’re at it, consider signing up for the convenient and eco-friendly SmartBill to receive your monthly bills via email. The SmartBill contains your account summary along with other valuable information to help you save energy, water and money. It also includes a link to e+ Online, an easy-to-use account management tool that offers a no-fee, electronic payment option.
Also, be sure to take a few minutes to set up a profile on e+ Online to receive customized data and money-saving tips based on your specific energy usage. You can view your billing history, obtain historical information and associated graphs, and find out how weather and other factors affected your current bill.
Here are a few other suggestions from Your Own Utilities:
- Adjust thermostats: Set the air conditioning (AC) thermostat to at least 78 degrees and even higher when you’re away from home. Setting the AC at 70 degrees rather than 78 degrees can double your operating cost!
- Choose the right AC fan setting: Make sure the air conditioning fan is set to “AUTO” not “ON” so the fan does not run continuously.
- Close shades, drapes and blinds during the day: This will help keep the house a lot cooler.
- Use fans instead of or in conjunction with the AC.
- Change air filters: Change filters monthly during periods of heavy AC use. Dusty air filters will make your air conditioner work longer.
For more information, call 891.4YOU (4968).