Special Park Hours & Privileges
The Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Affairs Department operates an 8 week Summer Camp program for children, ages 5-16. This year's Summer Camp Program ends on August 2. During the week some parks/playgrounds are reserved for our camp activities to ensure the safety of our campers and your children.
The following sites are reserved for exclusive use by our programs from (7:30am to 5:30pm):
- Myers Park
- Winthrop Park
- Lawrence Gregory Community Center at Dade Street
- Jack McLean Community Center
- Jake Gaither Community Center
- Walker Ford Community Center
During this time period we hope you'll visit one of our other parks. Some locations you might like include:
- Tom Brown Park - 501 Easterwood Drive
- Ninth & Terrace Park - 615 E. 9th Ave
- AJ Henry Park - 2701 AJ Henry Park Drive
- LeVerne Payne Community Center (4th Avenue) - 450 W. 4th Avenue
- Levy Park - 609 Tharpe Street
- Capital Park - 400 Tram Road
- Campbell Pond Park - 3703 Shoreline Drive
- Playground at Lafayette Park-501 Ingleside Ave (must be accompanied by parents)
If you have any questions regarding this matter please feel free to contact Mario Palmentieri, Recreation Supervisor, at 891-3879 or Toni McDonald, Recreation Supervisor, at 891-3856.
Summer Playground Program
"Taking the Lead in 2013" is the theme for this year's Summer Playground Program. The Summer Playground Program is geared towards every participant receiving an enriching experience through a variety of recreational games and activities. Participants will experience a summer full of lifetime memories.
Here are just a few of the reasons people keep coming back:
- Affordable and Accessible! We are committed to making camp programs available every summer.
- Great staff! Well trained staff with experience in youth leadership.
- Great Locations! Four community centers and three great park sites.
We are looking forward to another great summer of fun.
2013 Tennis Camp
Tennis camp is back at Forestmeadows Park & Athletic Center and Winthrop Park fro children ages 6 - 14. It is designed for beginning to intermediate level participants and will emphasize the development of stroke fundamentals, conditioning, footwork drills, tennis rules, etiquette, and introduce the students to competitive match play. Activities will run rain or shine. Inside activities will occur with inclement weather. Each site will be supervised by one of our certified USPTA professionals.
Registration is now in full swing for the 9 sessions listed below:
Cost is $65.00 per session at Forestmeadows and $45.00 per session at Winthrop.
Download the registration form (PDF) for additional details. For more information, please contact Glen Howe at 891-3920.
The City of Tallahassee, Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Affairs Department Summer Playground Program is no longer accepting applications for summer employment, if you are interested in applying for a position, please contact us in February 2014. Counselor in Training applications are still be accepted through the first of May. For more information about applying to be a Counselor in Training, please contact Toni McDonald at 891-3856.