The Mayor has four primary areas of interest. Within each is a myriad of programs and initiatives he believes best serves the Tallahassee community.
Year One Highlights:
2015 in Review – Check out some of the highlights of the Mayor and City of Tallahassee’s achievements in his first year in Office.
In his Own Words – WCTV Interview with Mayor Gillum about his first year in Office
Check out the 2015 Mid-Year Report - Showcasing the achievements of the first 6 months of 2015 and providing a brief snapshot of the progress made on the priorities listed below.
Find out more about each of the Mayor's initiatives:
Family First Agenda
Through these initiatives, Mayor Gillum has sought to build on the great work of the child-focused organizations in our community, to more boldly drive change and move our City toward a more nurturing and dynamic place for our children and families to grow strong.
Some of these 2015 efforts include:
- Hosting the 2015 Mayor’s Summit on Children
- Launching Four Community-driven Task Forces aimed at improving situations for children and families in our community.
- Holding Family First Week, which provided opportunities for parents and families to access important resources that they may not know exist in our community.
The Opportunity Agenda
Through the Mayor's leadership, the City has taken the initiative to bring partners from all sectors of our community to work identify the most issue-ridden areas of the City, and put together a long-term plan for inducing some large scale impact. Addressing the major social issues that plague our community, such as crime, poverty, poor health and beyond is going to take a more comprehensive and targeted approach than we have seen done in Tallahassee; but the work is underway.
Highlights of the Opportunity Agenda in 2015 Include:
- Passing a “Drop the Box” Initiative in City Hall
- Creating the Tallahassee Future Leaders Academy - Learn about the details of this program and some of its initial outcomes.
- Working with partners to expand our efforts focused on addressing issues in the City’s Promise Zone
- Growing and developing the 1000 Mentors Program [Click here to learn more and sign up]
Talent Lives Here (TLH)
These are Mayor Gillum's goals and ongoing efforts for capitalizing on the opportunities that Tallahassee has to positively impact our community’s entrepreneurial ecosystem and build a new economy.
Mayor Gillum’s efforts at helping to create a new economy include:
- Helping to sponsor Start-Up Week; One Million Cups; and bringing TEDx back to City Hall
- Advocating the importance of any community retaining Millennials
- Launching the Google CS First Program
- Holding the first Google Business Town Hall
- Becoming 1 of 50 cities to receive TechHire Designation from the White House
Promoting a Culturally Vibrant Community
Mayor Gillum believes that investments in the social and cultural amenities of Tallahassee is vitally important for attracting young talent, recruiting new businesses, and also enriching the life of those that already call Tallahassee home.
In 2015, Mayor Gillum took the following major steps to promote a more culturally vibrant Community:
- Hosting the first Longest Table Event
- Creating a Mayor’s Purchase Prize for Community Art, and filling City Hall with the work of local artists
- Presenting a Proclamation at PRIDEFEST, as the Honorary Festival Marshall; and appointing Nathan Archer as the liaison to the LGBT community.
Tallahassee Mayoral Fellowship Program
Mayor Gillum understands that it’s essential to invest first hand in our young aspiring public leaders. The Tallahassee Mayoral Fellowship Program offers a yearlong opportunity for exceptionally high performing graduate students to meaningfully engage with key areas of City government, and serve in invaluable front-line positions alongside top leaders of City Hall.
Operation Safe Neighborhoods
In response to the issue of violent crime in Tallahassee, Mayor Gillum and City Leadership, alongside key community organizations, developed a set of community driven initiatives called Operation Safe Neighborhoods. This initiative seeks to increase police visibility, capacity, and response times; strengthen strategic partnerships and community programs/opportunities; and enhance community engagement and responses through a neighborhood watch program called Neighbors on the Block.
Keep an eye out for information about Operation Safe Neighborhoods 2016!