TFD Responds to Two Overnight House Fires
November 25, 2013
At around midnight, the Tallahassee Fire Department received a 9-1-1 call reporting a house on fire located in the 4100 Block of Kensington Road. The caller stated that she was awakened by the sounds of crackling and loud noises and helped the three other adult occupants out of the home safely. The first fire crews on scene from Fire Station 10 reported heavy fire through the roof of the approximately 2,000 square foot single-story home. Fire crews initially entered the structure to search for victims and attack the fire but were forced to exit the home after parts of the roof were becoming weak, due to the amount of fire in the attic. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze from the outside using an elevated water stream. No injuries were reported at the scene and damages from the fire were estimated at $200,000, resulting in a total loss to the home as well as a vehicle in the garage. The cause of the fire is currently under investigation by the Florida State Fire Marshal's office and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives with assistance from the Tallahassee Fire Department. Officials with the State Fire Marshal's office say they believe the fire started on the back porch of the home and spread into the attic. They also say that the fire is not believed to be suspicious, although they will continue to investigate for a cause this morning. The Leon County Sheriff's office and Leon County EMS also assisted TFD at the scene.
The second house fire was called in at 2:22 a.m. and was located in the 2900 Block of Shamrock North. Residents were burning a fire in the fireplace and smelled an unusual amount of smoke. Firefighters quickly identified that the fire escaped the fire box and began burning in the walls. Firefighters were able to access the fire through the exterior of the chimney and extinguish a small fire. Damages from the fire were confined to the area around the fireplace and chimney and were estimated at $15,000. The residents were able to remain in the home after the fire. No injuries were reported at the scene of the fire.
The Tallahassee Fire Department wants you to follow these important safety tips when using your heating equipment this winter season:
- Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.
- Leave glass doors open while burning a fire. Leaving the doors open ensures that the fire receives enough air to ensure complete combustion and keeps creosote from building up in the chimney.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Use only seasoned hardwood. Soft, moist wood accelerates creosote buildup. In pellet stoves, burn only dry, seasoned wood pellets.
- Allow ashes to cool before disposing of them. Place ashes in a tightly covered metal container and keep the ash container at least 10 feet away from your home and any other nearby buildings. Never empty the ash directly into a trash can. Douse and saturate the ashes with water.
Lt. Mike Bellamy, Public Information Officer, 850-606-6625
Subscribe to News Releases
Sign up to receive our news releases via email, along with many other features, with our Email Subscription Service.