Commissioner Nancy Miller
Nancy Miller has been an independent business person all her life, having owned a retail store, a sales agency and a consulting business. She has made a long-term commitment to helping Tallahassee to be a wonderful place to live and work through her solid history of service on local boards and committees. In 2010, she was elected to the Tallahassee City Commission. Nancy believes that public service is the highest responsibility any citizen can take on in our democracy.
As a biologist, business owner and urban planner, Nancy has the background. experience and proven ability to help guide Tallahassee toward becoming a dynamic urban setting surrounded by natural assets that attract visitors and offer respite from the hustle and bustle of urban life. An enthusiastic supporter of strengthening our locally owned businesses, she is a strong advocate of the City's place-making activities in Midtown, South Monroe, College Avenue and Market Square. She also realizes that we in Tallahassee are blessed to enjoy a rich natural environment, and that this quality environment, and our abundant supply of clean water, can become an economic engine that will help sustain our community. Finally, Nancy believes that providing a sound system of public utility and transportation infrastructure is a primary function of government and a basic and essential need to support a strong local economy.
Since moving to Tallahassee in 1985, Nancy has raised two children and run a business while maintaining a very active civic life. Nancy was an original member of the Economic and Environmental Consensus Committee, the group that created the Blueprint 2000 initiative, and she remains deeply involved with the Blueprint program today. This leadership effort has resulted in more than $300 million dollars in community investment on improvements such as roads, parks and greenways, including downtown's Cascade Park and the widening of Capital Circle. She serves on the Capital Region Transportation Planning Agency, the Blueprint 2000 Intergovernmental Agency, the Downtown Improvement Authority, the Economic Development Council, the Council of Culture and the Arts, the Community Redevelopment Agency, and is the head of the City's Short Range Planning Target Issue Committee.
Nancy grew up in Asheville, North Carolina, graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and has an M.S. in Biology from Northeast Louisiana University. In 2006, she received her M.S. in Urban and Regional Planning at Florida State University. Her daughter, Betsy Couch, lives in Tallahassee with her husband, dentist Cory Couch, and her grandchildren, Caroline and Tucker. Her son, Thure Caire, and daughter-in-law, Brooke Bavinger, are physicians residing in Tampa, Florida with granddaughter Audrey and grandson Aaron.
In her spare time, Nancy and her husband, John, love to boat, bike and hike the beautiful natural places throughout our area.
Contact Commissioner Miller's Office
M'Lisa Ingram, Aide to Commissioner Miller: 850-891-8179 / email
Commissioner, City of Tallahassee
- Mayor Pro Tem, 2013
- Past Chair, Blueprint 2000 Intergovernmental Agency, 2012-2013
- Past Chair, Capital Region Transportation Planning Agency, 2013
- Downtown Improvement Authority
- Community Redevelopment Agency
- Leon County Tourism Development Council
- Economic Development Council
- Council on Culture and the Arts
- Board of Directors, John G. Riley House Museum, 2012 to present
- Planning Commissioner, Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Commission, 2008 to 2010.
- Blueprint 2000 Citizens' Advisory Committee, 2006 to 2010.
- Founding member of the Economic and Environmental Consensus Committee (EECC), authoring the Blueprint 2000 and Beyond initiative
- Board of Directors, Sustainable Tallahassee, 2009 to 2011.
- Board of Directors, Apalachee Land Conservancy, 2005 to present.
- Board of Directors, Apalachicola Riverkeeper, 2005 to 2011.
- Leon County Water Resources Citizens Advisory Committee, 1994 to 2011.
- Tallahassee Board of Realtors Residential Lot Availability/Affordability Committee, 2004.
- Site Specific Zoning Advisory Committee, City of Tallahassee, 1996.
- Environmental Management Ordinance Revision Committee, City of Tallahassee, 2003.
- Leon County Growth and Environmental Management Permit Process Improvement Group, 2005-2006.
- Leon County Growth and Environmental Management Citizens' Committee, 1998-2001.
- Trust for Public Lands Capital Cascades Trail Council, 2003-2005.
- TalTran (now StarMetro) Renaissance Stakeholders' Group, City of Tallahassee, 2004.
- Welaunee Citizens' Advisory Committee, 2002-2008.
- Chaires Elementary School, Parent Teacher Organization, 1990-1992.
Urban and Regional Planning Consultant
- TAPP Think About Personal Pollution Public Education Campaign, Project Coordinator
- City of Lynn Haven - Development of Evaluation and Appraisal Report (EAR) based Comprehensive Plan amendments.
- Lake County - Compilation of data for EAR based Comprehensive Plan amendments, including water supply plan.
- City of Mexico Beach - Analysis for the Future Land Use, Conservation, Coastal Management and Recreation elements of the Comprehensive Plan to comply with Evaluation and Appraisal Report requirements.
- City of Lynn Haven - Population projections, vacant lands analysis, annexation analysis and review of growth patterns for the Evaluation and Appraisal Report.
- K2 Urbancorp, LLC - Atkinson Project. Pre-application documents for Traditional Neighborhood Development (TND) project.
- Centerville Community Group, LLC - Centerville Farms. Assisted client with low impact development design options for stormwater treatment for conservation subdivision.
- Lightspeed Marketing, Inc. Co-owner and Office Manager, (1985–2004).
Manufacturers' representative agency serving the outdoor specialty sports market in eleven states throughout the Southeastern United States.
- Outdoor Adventures, Inc. Co-owner and Store Manager, (1980–1984).
Outdoor sports retail store specializing in the non-motorized sports of bicycling, backpacking, camping, kayaking and canoeing. Pioneered the development of canoe, kayak and cycling market throughout Northeast Louisiana.
- M.S. Urban Planning, Florida State University
- M.S. Biology, Northeast Louisiana University (Now University of Monroe)
- B.S. Zoology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2000 Sustainable Florida Leadership Award for the creation of Blueprint 2000 and Beyond.
- 2006 Watershed Champion Award for leadership in efforts to protect the waters of Tallahassee and Leon County.
Contact Commissioner Nancy Miller