PeakSmart for your Business
What is the PeakSmart program from the City of Tallahassee?
PeakSmart is one of many Energy Smart Plus (e+) products and services offered by the City of Tallahassee Utilities to help customers save energy and money. The program is currently available to large commercial customers only; however, the City plans to extend the program to all qualified residential and commercial customers in the future.
Referred to by the industry as 'demand response', PeakSmart is voluntary program which automates the process of curtailing the energy needs of participating customers during peak events on the electric grid. These situations occur when the City of Tallahassee Utilities anticipate a high demand for electricity due to unusually hot or cold days. Each peak event lasts no longer than two to four hours, and the number of events called each year is limited.
When a PeakSmart event is anticipated, Your Own Utilities will send notification a day ahead of the event; however, in rare emergency situations, the notice may be as short as 10 minutes. When a PeakSmart event begins, a signal is sent to a participating building's energy management system to carry out predetermined energy saving directives. For commercial customers this may mean that unessential lighting is curtailed or that HVAC settings and other equipment are adjusted to reduce the building's energy demands until the event subsides. For convenience, PeakSmart customers can manually opt out if they are unable to participate in a demand response event (up to two events per year).
Building a Smart Community
Empowering customers to reduce energy demand, save money and protect the environment.
Participant Cost Savings
- Receive the same monthly credit, regardless of whether or not a peak event occurs.
- Enroll for free. City of Tallahassee Utilities covers up-front equipment and installation costs.
- Identify future energy saving opportunities through near real-time monitoring of energy consumption.
Enabled by the Smart Grid
- Utilize innovative technology, made possible by Your Own Utilities' robust infrastructure and Smart Grid platform.
- Customize the system to best meet your business needs.
- Receive advance notices of scheduled events and anticipated periods of high energy demand.
- Offers seamless communication and automation, using the latest, proven technology.
- Manages a wide range of controls, such as setpoints on cooling systems, quickly and easily.
- Provides flexibility to opt out of scheduled events.
- Allows for greater monitoring and management of electric demand.
- Helps ensure that power is provided in the most efficient, cost-effective manner during periods of high energy demand.
- Extends Your Own Utilities' electric capacity to defer costly power plant construction.
For additional information or to sign up for PeakSmart, please call 850.891.4YOU (4968) or contact Your Own Utilities by email.