Preparing a Flood Disaster Plan
It is important to be ready in case a flood is about to happen - and nobody really can give you much advance warning of one. This is why each family should have a plan in place in case a flood threatens their home.
Prepare a Family Disaster Plan
- Check to see if you have insurance that covers flooding. If not, find out how to get flood insurance.
- Keep insurance policies, documents, and other valuables in a safe-deposit box.
Assemble a Disaster Supplies Kit Containing
- First aid kit and essential medications.
- Canned food and can opener.
- At least three gallons of water per person.
- Protective clothing, rainwear, and bedding or sleeping bags.
- Battery-powered radio, flashlight, and extra batteries.
- Special items for infants, elderly, or disabled family members.
- Written instructions for how to turn off electricity, gas and water if authorities advise you to do so. (Remember, you'll need a professional to turn them back on.)
- Identify where you could go if told to evacuate. Choose several places . . . a friend's home in another town, a motel, or a shelter.