Debris and Other Causes of Floods
Several of the City's flood damage mitigation and management efforts depend on your cooperation and assistance. Here are some ways you can help:
- Do not dump or throw anything into streams or ditches. Dumping in our ditches and streams is a violation of the City of Tallahassee Ordinance (Sec. 21-607). Even grass clippings and branches can accumulate and plug downstream channels or pipes. Obstructed conveyances cannot carry water and when it rains the water has to go somewhere. Every piece of trash contributes to flooding.
- If your property is next to a stream or ditch, please do your part and keep the banks clear of brush and debris. The City has a stream maintenance program that can help remove major blockage such as downed trees.
- If you see dumping or debris in the ditches, call Streets and Drainage Division of the Public Works Department at 891.5300.
- Always check with the Growth Management Department before you build on, alter, regrade, or place fill on your property. A permit may be required to ensure that these activities do not cause problems to other properties.
- If you see building or filling without a City permit sign posted, call the Environmental Services Division of the Growth Management Department at 891.7150.