Smart Grid Technology
Imagine a future where you have more control of your utility use and where you will be able to more easily save energy, save water and save money. Imagine that your utility meters will be accurately read daily or on demand, and without sending trucks and staff into the field. Imagine that we'll be able to remotely pinpoint electric outages and water leaks allowing more efficient, quicker repair.
The City of Tallahassee and Your Own Utilities are dedicated to providing innovative ways to protect and enhance the quality of life in our community and to provide the best customer service possible. Part of this commitment is the City of Tallahassee Utility's Smart Grid Project.
The Smart Grid - What is it?
The smart grid is a term used to described the modernization of the electric grid infrastructure to:
- Significantly improve the efficient production and distribution of power to customers
- Allow utility customers to play a bigger role in how and when they use power
The City of Tallahassee Utilities' e+ SmartGrid takes this concept further by providing a three-tier system of electric, natural gas and water smart grids for our customers.
Smart Meters – What are they?
Smart Meters are electric, gas and water meters that communicate information via a secure network to and from our customers.
The Benefits of the Smart Grid
Modernizing our grid will improve our services, provide new benefits to our customers and community and open a pathway to the future of Smart Customers and a Smart Utility.
- Improved customer service
- Access to up-to-date customer information
- Access to better customer information
- Better power interruption management - we'll be able to automatically pinpoint outages for faster repair
- More efficient field operations - less staff and trucks in the field and less interruptions for you
- Automated Leak detection for water meters
- Improved theft prevention – everyone benefits
- Access to your billing and usage information via the web
- Access to helpful tools via the web including on-line energy audits and much more
- Smart Meters enable in-home information displays
- Pathway to future of smart home and business automation