SmartBill - Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the electronic SmartBill?
The City of Tallahassee Utilities' SmartBill is your monthly, paperless utility bill that you receive directly by email. Your SmartBill will have a summary of your charges, your actual utility statement (just like the paper copy you receive currently) and additional information that can help you save energy, save water and save money.
> View sample SmartBill
- I already pay some bills online. Is that the same as electronic billing?
Not quite. If you already pay some bills online, you probably receive paper statements through the U.S. Postal Service and then go to the Internet to pay these bills. E-bills differ because they are paperless and delivered electronically directly to your e-mail in box. You actually view your bill in your e-mail and then when you are ready to pay, all you need to do is choose the amount, schedule the date you want the bill paid and click to pay. Everything is paperless unless you want to print your online bill for your files.
- How do I enroll to get my city of Tallahassee Utilities SmartBill?
That's easy. Click here to go to the Western Union web site (opens in a new window) or call 891.4YOU (4968) to enroll. After enrolling, you will receive a confirmation email and your next utility bill will come via email.
- What version of Adobe Acrobat do I need for the SmartBill?
The SmartBill needs the free Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0 or higher. Click here to download the latest version of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Is there a fee for this service?
No, the SmartBill is free for our customers. There is also a no-fee electronic payment option for SmartBill customers that is a bank transfer-ACH transaction. This option is available from the SmartBill itself. When you receive and open your SmartBill, you will have an option to schedule, click and pay from the SmartBill.
Credit card or debit payments from within the SmartBill do have retail money transfer fees from Western Union, the vendor contracted to process credit card payments from the City of Tallahassee Utilities.
- Will I need to remember another password to open my bill?
No, to open your SmartBill:
1. Open the PDF attachment included with the email and,
2. Provide the first five digits of your billing address zip code to open the SmartBill.
- Can I make electronic payments from the SmartBill?
Yes. You will have a no-cost, secure option to schedule a bank draft payment from within your monthly SmartBill after you get your first SmartBill. All other current payment options are still available.
- Do I have to pay electronically from the SmartBill?
No, you can continue to use other methods including e+ Online, Automatic Bank Draft, credit card payments at the Western Union site (fees apply), budget billing, regular mail, over the phone or in person.
- How do I know that my payment information is secure?
Please read our SmartBill Security FAQs. You may download the pdf here.
- Will I receive a payment confirmation if I pay electronically from the SmartBill?
Yes. We will send you an email confirming your payment and the date you scheduled for payment.
- If I'm currently set up to pay my utility bill automatically through my bank or credit union (automatic bank draft program), can I continue using this service and also receive paperless bills?
- How and when will I receive my SmartBill?
You will receive your SmartBill on the same schedule as your paper bill. Your metering reading schedule, billing and due dates do not change. Once you sign up for the SmartBill, you will receive your next bill electronically. The only exception would be if you sign up today and your bill is due to be mailed in the next three days. If this is the case, you would still receive your paper bill and then the next month you will receive the SmartBill by email.
- My SmartBill emails comes from SmartBill@ebill-talgov.com. Is this the correct address to look for?
Yes. The City of Tallahassee uses ebill-talgov.com for the SmartBill program.
- Do I have to sign up for a certain amount of time?
No. You can be unsubscribed at any time to go back to a paper utility bill. Each SmartBill you receive has a link to unsubscribe.
- Can I get both the paperless and my paper bill?
No, only one option is available.
- How do I change the email address my SmartBill is delivered to?
Your monthly SmartBill has a page with an interactive form to change your email address. This change takes approximately one (1) business day to change in the system.
Click on any "Answer" to learn more about the paperless billing option "SmartBill." You can also call us at 891.4YOU (4968) to speak to a Utility Customer Service Representative.