Are You Prepared?
Most major hurricanes in Florida occur in September
|Other Recent Releases
DataSource: The requested DataSource 8ec1df94-cdd4-4a09-8fc9-547938f6287e is not accessible.
September 01, 2013
Did you know that most major hurricanes and tropical storms in Florida occur in September?
August through October tends to be a very active period for severe weather and storms in our region, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Heavy rain and strong winds can pose many hazards, including power outages,flash flooding, downed electric lines and fallen trees.
So if you haven't done so already, be sure to have an emergency plan and a disaster kit ready.
To receive timely and accurate information before, during and after an emergency, please take a few minutes to provide Your Own Utilities with your up-to-date emergency contact information. You may call 891.4YOU (4968) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Your response will ensure that you receive information when you need it most. For further details or to report emergencies, such as power outages, trees or limbs on electric lines, or suspected gas leaks, please call 891.4YOU (4968).
> Update your emergency contact information
Here are a few tips to stay prepared:
- Identify the places where you can shut off your water and electricity quickly.
- Do not turn off your natural gas service at the meter for safety reasons.
- Clear deck, porch and yard of items that can blow away and cause damage.
- Keep batteries and flashlights handy.
- Unplug appliances to prevent lightning damage and remember that lightning can enter the home through cable television and telephone lines as well.
- When power resumes, turn on only necessary items. Also, do so one appliance at a time to avoid electric system overload.
For more information about being prepared, call 891.4YOU (4968) or learn more online.
Your Own Utilities: 891.4YOU (4968)
Subscribe to News Releases
Sign up to receive our news releases via email, along with many other features, with our Email Subscription Service.