Spring Break Safety Tips
Students, the Tallahassee Police Department knows you probably need a well-deserved break from the daily grind of classes and homework, but don't let criminals spoil your fun. Here's our suggestions to help keep you and your property safe during the college break:
- Make sure your home or apartment is left secure
Check all doors and windows to make sure they are closed and locked. Put interior lights and radios on timers.
- Remove all valuables from your car and park in a highly visible, lighted area
Don't forget to lock your car!
- Consider using a self-storage facility, especially for specialty items such as stereos and tvs
Rent or purchase a high-security lock recommended by the facility.
- Have a trusted neighbor or friend check on your place
They can be helpful when feeding pets and picking up mail and newspapers.
- Tell a friend or relative where you are going
Leave a contact number and your return date.
- Use an answering machine to answer your calls
Check your messages from time to time.
- Have a mechanic service your car
Plan your route and keep a map, cell phone and extra cash on hand in case of an emergency. Don't forget your cell phone battery charger.
- Allow yourself plenty of travel time
Don't drive when you're tired or have been drinking.
- Be careful of what and how much you drink!
Never lose control of your situation and surroundings. Never lose sight of your drink. Don't leave a bar alone or with a stranger - only go with friends
For more information, call the Tallahassee Police Department's Crime Prevention Unit