The Tallahassee Police Department is accustomed to the presence of noise and party related problems. It is only when parties compromise the personal safety of citizens, impact the private property of another citizen, or negatively impact the quality of life within neighborhoods that TPD takes action.
We do not proactively seek out parties to make enforcement efforts. However, If a neighbor or any impacted person calls to complain about a party or noise problem, the Tallahassee Police Department will respond to assist that with complainant. Party hosts may also call to request assistance with shutting down an out-of-control party.
Best Advice for a Safe and Successful Party
- Ask your neighbors' permission before throwing a party.
- Agree to clean up after the party.
- Leave a telephone number where your neighbors can call you directly.
- Keep party attendance to a reasonable number.
- Dismiss or remove the unruly or uninvited.
- DO NOT allow underage drinking. Even a single underage drinker can result in not only their arrest, but also you as the party's host (Open House Party, Florida Statute 856.012).
- Make transportation arrangements for anyone who could be considered an impaired driver.
- Accept the potential consequences for party hosts who do not follow the rules. That may include arrests or criminal citation, nuisance abatement action (a civil sanction filed by the City Attorney), university sanctions, parental notifications, fines, and community service hours, and more.