Health & Fitness
The Tallahassee Senior Services Health Program offers seniors the resources to continue a lifestyle of active aging through low or no-cost preventive health care and education. The Center's Health Program Coordinator, a registered nurse, facilitates a variety of preventive health screenings. The nurse is also available to assist seniors with accessing medical services available in the community. Volunteer nurses and aides provide additional helping hands and administrative support.
Chair Yoga - Not Only Fun, But Healthy Too
By Bridget Welch, LMT
We begin in our seats with straight spines, centering ourselves with deep breathing. As a group, we move through a series of gentle exercises, most done in a chair. The participants in my class at the Tallahassee Senior Center vary widely in age, strength, and flexibility, but the comMonday thread is a shared interest in health and well-being.
The class consists of many range-of-motion exercises, which gently increase blood circulation in our muscles, move lymphatic fluid for our immune system, pump cerebrospinal fluid around our brains and spines to nourish and protect the central nervous system, and move the synovial fluid that lubricates our joints. Sometimes I joke that the movements are oiling us, like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz with his oilcan.
Our exercises maintain, and sometimes increase, range of motion in our body, so we can reach things on the top shelf, look in our blind spot when driving, open our arms wide to give hugs, and more. We work on strengthening, stabilizing, and balancing. Leg exercises strengthen muscles around our knees. Balancing postures help with stability as well. We have a breathing exercise that integrates the two hemispheres of the brain and the two sides of the body.
We do strengthening for the pelvic floor to maintain our continence (avoid incontinence). We increase circulation in our vital organs, making digestion more efficient. In addition to moving lymph during our range of motion exercises, we do a few fun and boisterous exercises to support our immune system.
Exercisers breathe deeply, relaxing and rejuvenating themselves. We lift our moods, laugh together, and share this time of nurturing ourselves, connecting with others as a little chair yoga community. Join us Fridays at 11 a.m.
And at TSC, our one-hour class open to all ages.
Memory & Health Screening
Tuesday, November 18 | 9:00am - 12:00n
November is Alzheimer's Awareness Month, come out for a free memory screening! Also available : blood pressure screenings, glucose screenings, Brown Bag Medication Review (bring all your meds in a brown bag) and stroke screening.
While memory screenings are not used to diagnose any specific illness, it can begin discussion on mental wellness and memory enhancing techniques. It may also indicate if someone might benefit from a more complete medical visit with their doctor.
A memory screening is a 10 minute series of questions and/or tasks designed to test memory and other intellectual functions. Results of the memory screenings are strictly confidential.
Sponsored by The Alzheimer's Project, Inc., Tallahassee Senior Center & Foundation, TMH NewroScience Center, and the United Way.
Health Classes and Programs
For more information on offered programs, call 891-4000 or 891-4042. Unless otherwise noted, all presentations are in the Tallahassee Senior Center Dining Room.
Click on each event to get more details:
Health Screenings and Services
All services are 10:00am - 12:00n, unless otherwise noted:
- Blood Pressure Screening / Wednesdays & Thursdays
- Glucose Screenings / Wednesdays
- Pulse Oximetry Screenings / First Thursday of the Month
- Reiki / November 25, December 2 & 16 and January 13 (10:30am - 12:00n)
- Meditation & Mindfulness Guidelines / November 25 & December 16 (10:30 - 11:30am)
- Massage / November 13 & 25, December 11 and January 8
- Hearing / November 12
Please inquire about our Fitness Savings Card, or "discount card." Punch cards are available for purchase at each class and save participants $5 (15 fitness classes for $25). Unless otherwise noted, classes are $2. Discount cards not applicable for Zumba Gold or Yoga.
- Mindful Movement
Tuesdays | 11:00am - 12:00n
- Brain-Body-Memory Balance Stretch and Relaxation Class
- Mondays | 1:30 - 2:30pm at Tallahassee Senior Center
- Tuesdays | 10:00 - 11:00am at Optimist Park
- Wednesdays | 2:00 - 3:00pm at Allegro
- Chair Yoga
Fridays | 11:00am - 12:00n
- Life Exercise
Tuesdays and Thursdays | 9:30 - 10:30am
A workout consisting of aerobics, light weights, stretching, strengthening and balance exercises. Suitable for everyone; you can participate even if seated.
- Taoist Tai-Chi
Wednesdays and Fridays | 10:00 - 11:00am
- Zumba Gold
Thursdays | 5:30 - 6:30pm - $5 for 55+, $7 others
Mondays and Wednesdays | 5:30 - 7:00pm - $10 for 55+, $12 others
- Podiatry & Foot Care
December 11 | 12:30 - 2:30pm
Neighborhood Site Senior Fitness Classes
Unless otherwise noted, classes are $2.
- Brain-Body-Memory-Balance: Wednesdays | 2:00 - 3:00pm
- Bradfordville - Bannerman Crossing
- Beginners: Tuesdays & Thursdays | 10:30 - 11:15am
- Intermediate: Tuesdays & Thursdays | 11:30am - 12:30pm
- Afternoon Class: Tuesdays & Thursdays | 1:00 - 2:00pm
- Chaires-Capitola Dorothy C. Spence Community Center
- Seated Fitness: Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays | 8:30 - 9:30am
- Seated Fitness: Tuesdays & Thursdays | 9:30 - 10:30am
- Fort Braden Community Center
- Fitness: Mondays & Wednesdays | 10:30 - 11:30am
- Jack McLean Community Center
- Super Seniors Fitness: Tuesdays - Thursdays | 10:00 - 11:00am, Free
- Jake Gaither Community Center
- Mindful Movement - Moving for Better Balance: Thursdays | 11:00am - 12:00n
- Lake Jackson Community Center
- Mindful Movement - Moving for Better Balance: Thursdays | 1:00 - 2:00pm
- Miccosukee Community Center
- Fitness: Tuesdays & Thursdays | 11:15am - 12:00n
- Optimist Park
- Brain-Body-Memory-Balance: Tuesdays | 10:00 - 11:00am
- Woodville Community Center
- Fitness: Mondays & Wednesdays | 8:30 - 9:30am
Water Aerobics at City of Tallahassee Pools