Retirement News & Events
Annual Pension Meeting of the Plan Participants
The Pension Advisory Committees and the City's Retirement will be holding the annual meeting of the pension plan participants as follows:
- General Employees: Thursday, April 3 / Notice
- Firefighters: TBA
- Police: TBA
One of the purposes of the annual meeting is to elect a plan participant to serve on the advisory committee whenever there is a vacancy or an incumbent's term expires. Above are the notices sent to each plan participant and which seats are open for nominations.
Musical Performance Opportunities
Calling all City employee/retiree musicians - Would you like a wonderful venue to perform at while supporting the arts in Tallahassee and sharing your holiday spirit? Well…here’s your chance.
Through a partnership between Le Moyne Center for Visual Arts and the City's TOWN Show Committee, City employees and retirees have been invited to provide musical entertainment for Holiday Show visitors during the week of December 10 through December 15. Available performance time slots are 6:00 – 8:00 pm Tuesday (12/10), Wednesday (12/11) and Friday evenings (12/13), 10:00 am - noon or 1:00 - 3:00 pm on Saturday (12/14), and noon - 2:00 pm and 3:00 -5:00 pm on Sunday (12/15).
If you are a solo performer, or belong to a group*, and you would like to show your support of the arts by performing during this year’s Le Moyne Holiday Show, please contact Jeanne Kimball @ 850-321-6269 or email@example.com for details.
This partnership is just one more way City employees and retirees demonstrate their support of the arts in Tallahassee, and share their rich and varied talents.
*A group must have at least one City employee or retiree as a member to be part of this special holiday partnership.
Annual Benefits & Wellness Event 10/23/2013, 7:30a - 12:30p at Jack McClean Community Center
Staff from the City Retirement division and also Prudential will be available to provide retirement planning assistance at the Annual Benefits and Wellness Event on October 23. You may want to take advantage of this opportunity to discuss your retirement needs and get answers to any questions you may have.
Retirement staff will be available to:
- Provide a hands-on introduction to the Retirement Website on talgov.com and the self-service resources available including retirement planning information, forms and calculators
- Provide hands-on assistance signing on to the City PeopleSoft Self-Service website and demonstrating the valuable resources available there
- Provide hands-on assistance signing on to the Prudential Financial website with an introduction to the resource available there for managing your Prudential investments
Prudential Financial Consultants will be available to meet with you to:
- Provide advice on 401(k) MAP and 457 RSVP investment allocation
- Discuss and provide advice on your retirement goals, objectives and the importance of proper planning
Annual Town Show
The 9th Annual Town Show has been announced and entries are now being accepted for City of Tallahassee employee and retiree artwork. The deadline for submitting entries is 5pm, March 29, 2013. (see Details and Entry Form)
Changes to the Pension Plans
Changes have been made to the City of Tallahassee Pension Plan for General, Fire and Police. Please read this notice (PDF) in reference to the new provisions. (December 2012)
NEW Retirement Page in PeopleSoft Self-Service
This information applies to general employees; however, the legislation will affect firefighters and police officers when new contracts are negotiated and signed.
The Florida legislature passed a bill during the 2011 session that affected the City of Tallahassee pension plan. Prior to the bill, City ordinance allowed payment for up to 6 weeks of unused personal leave to be included in an employee's pension calculation. The new law stated that in order to include this leave, it must have been earned before July 1, 2011. As soon as we learned of it, all employees were notified of this bill so they could plan their leave accordingly.
As part of our notification to employees, the City Treasurer-Clerk and City Manager proposed allowing both personal and sick leave to be used in order to help employees who were affected by this legislation. As with personal leave, sick leave must have been earned before July 1, 2011 to be eligible. To capture these amounts, the City took a "snapshot" of each employee's leave balances on July 1, 2011. When you retire, you will be paid for all unused sick and personal leave according to existing HR policy (708). When calculating how much leave may be included in your pension payment, the City will use:
1. Up to 6 weeks of leave paid out at retirement.
2. The July 1 snapshot amount, if less than the leave balance at retirement.
A new page in PeopleSoft Self-Service will make it easy to check your snapshot amount and other retirement information.
How to View Your July 1, 2011 Leave Balances
on PeopleSoft HRMS Self-Service:
1. Log on to PeopleSoft HRMS Self-Service wth your PeopleSoft HR User ID and Password. If you do not know your PeopleSoft HR User ID and Password, contact ISS Systems One Stop Help Desk at 891-8855, Option 2.
2. Navigate to "Self Service," then to "Benefits," then to "Retirement Planning Info".
View PDF of this news item
If you have any questions, please contact the Retirement Office at 850-891-8343.
Retirement News Archive (PDF)
This PDF contains the following articles
- Annual Pension Statements for FY2011
- Annual Benefits & Wellness Event 10/26, 7:30-1:30 at Jack McClean Community Center
- New Investment options for MAP/RSVP/DROP/Supplemental Share Plan for Police & Fire
- Changes to Prudential's GoalMaker portfolios
- Beneficiary Designation for Retirement Plans
- Retirement Administration Launches New and Improved Website
- Join Retiree Alumni Group
- Annual Pension Meeting of the Plan Participants
- Pension Protection Act of 2006 (Health Insurance Credit for retired Police Officers/Firefighters)
- City Commission Extends Benefits to Domestic Partners
- 19th Annual City of Tallahassee Retiree Appreciation Dinner
- Recent Changes to Federal Tax Rules
- Waiver of Required Minimum Distributions for Retirement Plan Participants for 2009