Location and Hours of Operation
- 438 West Brevard Street | 891-4180
- Monday through Thursday: 7:30am to 8:00pm
- Friday: 7:30am to 7:00pm
- Saturday: Special scheduling may be provided for community rentals, special events and activities
The Center provides for the delivery of social and human services, institutional and charitable services by agencies or organizations that are non-profit in nature. The Center's mission is to develop and implement programs, services and activities that will positively impact the quality of life of the community's residents.
Victory is My Destiny - Boxing Tournament on July 26, 2014
The Lincoln Center Boxing Club is proud to host Tallahassee's annual Southeast Regional "Victory is My Destiny" boxing event on Saturday, July 26, 2014. This event provides amateur boxers an opportunity to demonstrate their skills and compete for titles, trophies and ribbons. It is sanctioned by the USA Boxing Association and is open to the 180 boxing clubs in Florida and clubs in the Southeast region of Georgia and Alabama.
"Victory is My Destiny" will be held at the National Guard Armory, located at 1225 Easterwood Drive, and will begin at 5 p.m. Admission is $10 for the general public, $15 for VIP seating and $5 for non-competing boxers.
The Lincoln Center Boxing Club is sponsored by the Lincoln Center Foundation and the Lincoln Neighborhood Service Center. The club provides training and boxing techniques for youth ages 8 to 18. It includes a mentoring and self-esteem program and provides counseling to program participants. The club is available Monday through Thursday from 4:30 to 8 p.m. and Friday from 4:30 to 7 p.m. For more information, call 891-4181.
The Lincoln Center, located at 438 West Brevard Street, is operated and maintained by the City of Tallahassee Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Affairs Department (PRNA). For more information about programs and activities at the Lincoln Center, please visit Talgov.com/Parks. You can also stay up-to-date on PRNA happenings by liking its page on Facebook or following @COTParks on Twitter.
Services and Programs
- The Afterschool Development Program - homework assistance and one-on-one tutoring for community youth ages 6 to 14 in the areas of math, science, reading and language arts in addition to FCAT preparation (Monday through Friday - 3:00 to 5:30pm)
- The Lincoln Room - A museum to honor the historic Lincoln High School that once occupied the Lincoln Center site. The school served as the primary public education center for Leon County's African-Americans from 1869 - 1970.
- Summer Enrichment Program - The Lincoln Center provides this six (6) week program in partnership with The Lincoln Foundation and The Riley House. The Summer Enrichment Program strives to continue developing students' academic skills in math, reading, science, and computer programs. Field trips to museums, historic and recreation sites provide a diverse opportunity for the students to expand their academic learning and social skills. Limited space available.
- Rentals for Special Events - The Lincoln Center is a multi-purpose facility and is available for community meetings, forums, seminars, workshops, panel discussions as well as other events.
- The Conference Center has a capacity of up to 74 people.
- The Gymnatorium has a capacity of up to 250 people seated.
- Both areas are available for rent. Reservations can be made by contacting the Lincoln Center.
- Senior Day Workshops - The Lincoln Center host workshops on the third Wednesday of every month from 10:30am until 12:30pm to exposed seniors to various social service agencies and providers that can assist them with their personal needs and development, offer health screenings to our senior residents, as well as serve as an outreach to seniors and their caregivers. Each senior day's event consists of a variety of speakers, exhibitors, entertainers, lunch and door prizes.
- Senior Fitness - This program is designed to enhance the wellness of community seniors with a variety of low impact exercises to improve strength and endurance. Classes are available for individuals 55 years of age and older. Not only do the exercises enhance participants physically as well as serve to meet their social and emotional needs. (Mature Silver Steppers: 9:00 - 10:00am; Silver Steppers: 10:00 - 11:00am)
- Beginners Art Class - Provides hands on lessons for anyone interested in learning how to paint. The class is offered for seniors every Friday (excluding holidays), 9:30 - 11:30am. Initial supplies are provided.
- Legal Services - Pro bono (FREE) legal services are provided to assist seniors with wills, deeds, estate planning and other civil legal matters. Appointments are scheduled on a first-come-first served basis. (1st Monday of each month - 10:00 am to 12 noon)
- Congregate Meal Program - Provides nutritional meals every Monday of each week (excluding holidays) for our seniors between 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Senior Card Night - Enjoy a night of playing your favorite card game from 6:30 until 10:00 pm every second Friday night.
- Senior Computer Class - Provides computer technology training to community seniors, at no cost. Courses are offered in Microsoft Word and Excel in addition to instructions on the Internet usage. (Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:00 to 11:30am)
- Senior Indoor Games - Provides senior participants an opportunity to enjoy indoor games such as pool, table tennis, WII Sports, checkers, dominoes, chess and various other card games. Available during regular business hours.
- Bridge Lessons
- Beginner Bridge Lessons for Seniors - Beginning February 4 through April 11, classes are provided for seniors interested in learning to play duplicate bridge. The lessons are held every Tuesday from 1:00 pm until 3:00 pm.
- Intermediate Bridge Lessons for Seniors - Beginning April 25 through May 23, seniors having completed the Beginners lessons can learn Intermediate Bridge. The lessons will be held every Tuesday from 1:00 pm until 3:00 pm.
- Bridge classes will be offered in the Fall. For additional information please contact 891-4180.
Social and Human Service Agencies
- Kids Incorporated of the Big Bend (414-9815) - Early Head Start Program provides day care services to individuals and families of low and moderate income. These services are provided for infants 6 weeks of age and toddlers up to 3 years of age. Family services and referrals to community resources are also provided. (Monday through Friday - 8:00am to 4:00pm)
- Neighborhood Medical Center (224-2469) - provides health services to low income, uninsured, under-insured and straight Medicaid individuals who do not have access to health care. Services include walk-in clinics, pharmacy, community health screenings, eye clinic and the distribution of hygiene items. (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday - 8:00am - 6:00pm; Thursday - 8:00am - 8:00pm)
- Lincoln Center Boxing Club (891-4181) - provides training and boxing techniques for youth ages 8 to 18. The club has a mentoring and self-esteem program, and provides counseling to program participants. (Monday through Thursdays - 4:30 to 8:00 pm and Fridays - 4:30 until 7:00 pm)
- FAMU Pharmacy (412-5488) - provides comprehensive pharmaceutical services in a friendly, timely, accurate and economical manner to the residence of Leon County. Prescriptions prices are based solely on the cost of medication and are filled for patients of Neighborhood Medical Center and local hospital emergency rooms.
To address programs and services identified by community residents, the Lincoln Center has partnered with community organizations to develop and implement various programs and services.
Foundation and Donations
- Foundation - The Lincoln Center Foundation, Inc. a 501 C (3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to assist in the planning and development of programs and projects that will improve the lives of community residents.
- Donations - Become a member of the Lincoln Center Foundation, Inc. and help build a strong partnership that will preserve the tradition of excellence, spirit and culture significance of the Lincoln Neighborhood Service Center. Membership donations of $20.