New 7-Day Residential Permit Approval Unveiled
Money Back Guarantee if Approval Takes Longer
|Other Recent Releases
DataSource: The requested DataSource 8ec1df94-cdd4-4a09-8fc9-547938f6287e is not accessible.
October 11, 2012
The City of Tallahassee today announced the unveiling of a new program for local homebuilders. As part of the City’s ongoing efforts to streamline permitting and improve customer service, the City will guarantee a seven-day turnaround on a new single-family residential permit – and it includes a money back guarantee!
In June 2010, the City Commission approved a new “fast track” program within the City’s Growth Management Department. This program set new performance standards that were designed to speed up pre-building permitting and site planning reviews without compromising quality, safety or environmental standards. By all measures, turnaround times have improved and, based on feedback from local builders, things are headed in the right direction.
… and now the City is taking that to the next level!
This new program, approved unanimously by the Tallahassee City Commission on Wednesday, October 10, will dramatically improve the process for seeking a new residential building permit for a single-family home, townhome or duplex on a single lot.
Here’s how it works.
- A licensed builder brings in a permit application for a single-family residential home (or a duplex on a single lot) and pays the standard permitting fees.
- The City promises to complete the review within seven business days.
- At, or before, the end of the seventh business day, someone from the City will call or email the applicant to let them know that the permit has been approved or, if it hasn’t been approved, comments explaining why it has not.
- If the applicant needs to alter or amend the application, upon resubmittal, the deadline will be shortened to only five business days.
- If the City fails to get back to the applicant as promised, related permitting fees will be refunded.
It’s that simple … seven days … guaranteed.
“I am pleased to see our City continuing to make strides to be more efficient and to be as customer oriented as possible,” stated Commissioner Andrew Gillum, who initiated the concept and serves as the lead commissioner on the City's Financial Viability Target Issue Committee. “I love the boldness of backing our commitment up with a money-back guarantee.”
“We set out on a course several years ago to work hand in hand with local builders, and while this is not our first step in this process, it is clearly the most exciting,” added Director of Growth Management Karen Jumonville. “A permit has many facets to it. We are pleased with the leadership of the Commission and the professionalism of the staff who have worked diligently to make this goal a reality”
This program is the first of its kind in the community. The official start date will be Monday, October 15, 2012, and it will extend for one full year.
Karen Jumonville, Director of Growth Management, 891-7030; or Michelle Bono, Asst. to the City Manager, 891-8200
Subscribe to News Releases
Sign up to receive our news releases via email, along with many other features, with our Email Subscription Service.