Early Morning Tallahassee Fire Displaces Four
|Other Recent Releases
DataSource: The requested DataSource 8ec1df94-cdd4-4a09-8fc9-547938f6287e is not accessible.
February 24, 2014
At 7:59 a.m., the Tallahassee Fire Department responded to an early morning house fire located in the 800 Block of Dover Street. A resident called 9-1-1 after smelling smoke in her home. The mother and child evacuated the home safely as fire crews arrived. Firefighters quickly extinguished a fire in the dryer and reported no injuries. Damages from the fire were estimated at $40,000 and the Red Cross was called to assist the displaced family of four.
The Tallahassee Fire Department wants to remind you that the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires is failure to maintain them. Follow these tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
- Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
- Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
- Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
- Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.
Lt. Mike Bellamy, Public Information Officer, 850-606-6625
Subscribe to News Releases
Sign up to receive our news releases via email, along with many other features, with our Email Subscription Service.