TFD Reminds Residents to Keep Safe this Thanksgiving with Safety Tips
November 27, 2013
The kitchen is the heart of the home, especially at Thanksgiving. Kids love to be involved in the holiday preparations. The Tallahassee Fire Department wants to remind you that the kitchen can be one of the most hazardous rooms in the house if you don't practice safe cooking behaviors. Stovetop and range mishaps are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Keep you and your family safe by practicing safe cooking behaviors.
- Always use cooking equipment tested and approved by a recognized testing facility.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Plug microwave ovens and other cooking appliances directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance - it can overload the circuit and cause fire.
- Always use a timer to remind you that you're cooking.
Frying your Thanksgiving turkey sounds inviting but can be very dangerous. The National Fire Protection Agency discourages the use of outdoor gas-fueled turkey fryers that cook the turkey in hot oil. If you absolutely must use a turkey fryer, please use the following tips.
- Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors a safe distance from buildings and flammable materials.
- Never use turkey fryers in a garage or on a wooden deck.
- Make sure the fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping.
- Never leave the fryer unattended. Most units do not have thermostat controls. If you do not watch the fryer carefully, the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire.
- Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and be careful with marinades. Oil and water do not mix, and water causes oil to spill over causing a fire or even an explosion hazard.
- Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire.
Lt. Mike Bellamy, Public Information Officer, 850-606-6625
Subscribe to News Releases
Sign up to receive our news releases via email, along with many other features, with our Email Subscription Service.