TFD Responds to Morning House Fire and Gas Leak
Kitchen Fire on Gearhart Road
January 16, 2013
Today at 11:08 a.m., TFD units from Stations, 8, 4 and 1 responded to a kitchen fire at 4965 Gearhart Road. On scene, fire crews were met with heavy smoke and a fire on the stove. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire with a 1.75" hose line and searched the home for victims. One occupant was home at the time of fire and was awakened by a neighbor who noticed smoke coming from the home. The Red Cross was called to assist the occupant who is displaced as a result of the fire. No injuries were reported and damages from the fire were estimated at $50,000. The cause of the fire was a pot left unattended on the stove. The Tallahassee Fire Department wants to remind you to always "watch what you heat" to prevent having a fire in your home. For additional fire safety tips visit www.talgov.com/fire.
At 11:15 a.m., firefighters from Station 2 responded to the report of a ruptured natural gas line in the 2000 Block of Meridian Road. On scene, Hazardous Materials Technicians with the Tallahassee Fire Department determined that a worker operating a tractor hit a natural gas line supplying a residence in the area. Firefighters were unable to access the leak which was underground and contacted the City of Tallahassee Utilities to repair the gas line and shut off the natural gas. Firefighters remained on scene until the utilities were shut off. The gas leak did not pose a health risk to residents in the area and officials with the utility department didn’t expect any gas service interruption to surrounding residents while the repairs were made. One lane of Meridian was closed to allow utility workers to repair the gas line.
Lt. Mike Bellamy, Public Information Officer, 891-6608
Subscribe to News Releases
Sign up to receive our news releases via email, along with many other features, with our Email Subscription Service.