Women Fly It Forward Event Lands This Weekend
Event Honors Women in Aviation, Celebrates the Skies
March 05, 2014
Tallahassee Regional Airport (TLH) and FL Aviation Center are proud to host Women Fly it Forward, Tallahassee's second annual event in celebration of Women of Aviation Worldwide Week. This free community event will be held on Saturday, March 8, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Flightline Honda Jet Hangar.
Attractions at this year's Women Fly it Forward event include:
- Free airplane rides from 9 a.m. to noon for all children ages 8-17, courtesy of the Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 445 Young Eagles
- Free first flight experiences for all adult women (men are welcome to ride along for a $25 donation)
- Static aircraft on display
- Aviation & aerospace career fair, including:
- FL Aviation Center flight school
- Tallahassee Regional Airport
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
- Lively Technical Center
- The National Weather Service
- The National High Magnetics Field Laboratory
- Leon County Sheriffs Airborne Law Enforcement
- The Gulf Coast Chapter of the Ninety-Nines
- Civil Air Patrol
The week of March 8 marks International Women's Day, as well as the anniversary of the first female to earn her pilot's license. While women now make up 33 percent of the workforce among doctors and lawyers, the percentage of women in aviation has remained disproportionately low, at just six percent of all pilots. As a result, the common perception is that aviation is for men only.
The goal of Women Fly it Forward is to change this perception and encourage women to take to the skies. FL Aviation Center is a flight school in Tallahassee, owned and operated by two women, Faith Drewry and Lacey Smith, who are eager to demonstrate that flying is also for girls!
Studies have shown that young girls are less attracted to any career which lacks female mentors. Women Fly it Forward fosters diversity within the air and space industry by providing one-on-one interaction with female role models in science and engineering careers and by raising awareness of career opportunities throughout the aviation industry.
For more information on the weekend's event, please contact FL Aviation Center at 850-778-3591, on Facebook or via its website at www.FLAviationCenter.com. Flights timeslots can be reserved in advance at www.womenofaviationweek.org/rsvp/tallahassee, but pre-registration is not required. You can also stay informed by following @FLAviationCtr on Twitter.
The Tallahassee Regional Airport is owned and operated by the City of Tallahassee. For more information about TLH, please visit www.flytallahassee.com, like Tallahassee Regional Airport on Facebook and follow @iFlyTallahassee on Twitter.
Jim Durwin, Tallahassee Regional Airport, 891-7843; Faith Drewry, FL Aviation Center, 778-3591; or Lizzy Kelley, City Communications Department, 891-8533